Saturday, September 30, 2023

Sylvia's Simple Shots

It's that time of year.  The crops are being harvested and stored away for winter.  It was very interesting to see the different colors of netting on these large straw bales - green, red, blue at minimum. Red was my favorite bit it was not convenient to stop and take pics. 

The combines were in the fields kicking up a dust storm, the trucks were waiting for the loading to be done so they could head back to the yard, and there were very wide tractors on the highway so one had to be careful.

I did end up behind a large industrial load and the pilot car did not allow us to use the passing lane when it showed up.  Several of us were just waiting for the opportunity to pass and our hopes were dashed.  It turned off after 40 minutes.

I finally took a trip to the country to see my sister which I had not seen since May at my Mom's funeral.

It was time to clear all the large flower bed at the driveway.  I picked what blooms were still good enough to harvest and put those in a large jar.

Then we were careful to collect seeds from the cosmos, poppies, and pink lavatera.  All in their seperate baggies well marked.

Then the cutters and garden forks came out to remove the huge cosmos plants. I have never seen such large plants with very thick stems.  It was a couple of hours work but it allowed the rocks to be seen again.  There were some smaller plants which had suffered due to lack of sun and water.  A different variety will be planted there next year.

There are a few perennials as well.


This is the lavatera on the buffet at my sister's house with Mom in the back ground tending her flowers at the lodge. That was a year ago already.

These pink lavatera were one of Mom's favorite flowers along with cosmos.  Each place at the house had it's flower, pansy in the old wash tub, nasturtium in the cement planter at the front of the house, a row of cosmos in the garden, a row of gladiolas in the garden next to the house. 

She took care of her flowers, her vegetable garden and fruit trees with much love and care.  They produced very well for her.





I finished this book this week. Book 4 in the Angelic Letters Series. The Angelic Occurence by Henry K. Ripplinger.  It's been a while since I read number 4.

It was good to continue the story with Jenny, Henry, Father David and the rest of the gang.

Jenny has finally divorced her self centered husband James and found her own place but she loses her Mom about this time. Tough.

Henry is painting, running a gallery, put in a cafe at the gallery, and enjoying his acreage outside of Regina.

Father is shepherding the flock at St. Mary's church.

The end of this book was hard so I am so glad that I had book five to start right away.  More about that book later.


My sister loaded me up with fresh veggies from the garden.  They were getting ready to till the garden so the last few things were being harvested.

I came home with tomatoes, green onions, potatoes, a zuchinni, and this is a squash but it will do for a Halloween pumpkin.

It was really nice to get out of town for a couple of days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. I love to read your comments.