Saturday, September 2, 2023

Sylvia's Simple Shots

 
On my way back from visting my sister I stopped at the Reynolds-Alberta Museum which carries exhibits of old cars, farm equipment, airplanes, and other wonderful stuff.  One of their current exhibits is Driving Thru the 70s, which was a great one.  Cars, movie trailers, trucks and all things in the 1970s.  There was an energy crisis where the cost of oil quadrupled in a few months. Loved seeing the colors, the cars, the little drive in with the speakers and they were showing movie trailers. The vehicles were terrific.  Did not enjoy the 1.5 hours moving 5kms an hour on the big highway because a truck lost his load.  That does not help the gas mileage - talk about energy crisis.

I had a great visit with my sister and brother-in-law.  

I brainstormed some ideas for the Christmas market.  Sticky Note holders, recipe cards or postcards, fire starters either pine cones or paper wreaths. We did some experiments on the fuels and picked pine cones in the rain.

She shared the bounty of her flower garden with me.  Flowers for my table - rudbekias, cosmos, dahlias, marigolds, and zinnias.

Enjoyed having a bouquet on my table.

She shared produce from the garden too! Tomatoes, the cucumbers I ate before I took a picture.  Carrots and cabbage and the sticker is from peaches from my niece but all there was left was the sticker when I remembered to take a picture.  Thank You!



The Orphan Thief by Glynis Peters.  Another wonderful story set in England in World War II. Ruby Shadwell was dealt a several blow during the Coventry Blitz in 1940. She must regroup with members of the family gone as well as the family home.

She starts cleaning the street and reuniting precious things with those to whom they belong.  Many neighbors are grateful.  She checks in on friends, neighbors and her grandmother. Fortunately, a building nearby remained standing and the man that lived there was the accountant for her father's business. She attends her grandmother's funeral and starts the search to find Fred who lived in this house. She finds him at a private lodging after checking hospitals, medical tents and the morgue. When he is better he comes back to his home where she as been living. 
Ruby starts a bit of an enterprise to sell items scrounged from the streets to get a bit of food. She has registered as a survivor with the help from a kind lady. Tommy has brought several items of jewelry for her to buy but he keeps his distance regarding where he lives and when his mother works as he is generally hungry and dirty when Ruby sees him.
She suffers set backs with her small enterprise as the bombing and looting continues.  She befriends Tommy and eventually finds the truth about his living horrible conditions. 
She meets a Canadian Military officer who is documenting the situation in Europe with his camera. They become friends and he checks in with her whenever he is in the area.  It turns into a love story and the story has a good ending.

I missed the full moon, and I checked while I was at my sisters but did not find it from my bedroom window.

I did get a good shot of it several days later.

It is called a blue moon because it is the second full moon in the month of August.

Always nice to have clear skies.






Traveling Light by Max Lucado. I finished this book this week that has been on my night stand for a while.  It took longer to finish as I fit it in between novels I have been reading.

We carry burdens like self-reliance, discontent, weariness, worry, hopelessness, guilt and arrogance.  All packed into our minds and hearts which weigh us down like heavy luggage.

The supporting text of this book is the 23rd Psalm - The Lord is my Shepherd. We need to turn to God as He promises to provide rest to the weary.

A good book to remind me to let go and let God in many situations in my life.  In reality, I control so little and must trust some one greater for support and relief.

Max is a very good author.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. I love to read your comments.