Tuesday, September 12, 2023

Sewing Project - Tea Towels


I made a set of tea towels for my niece for her birthday.  A while ago I found a piece of fabric at the thrift store which was a linen/cotton blend and it was mustard color.  Perfect! I said.

I did have to find thread to match so I headed to Walmart on the Monday before school started.  What was I thinking.  The parking lot was jammed and so was the store. I did find what I needed.

I cut the fabric 21 x 30 inches to maximize the fabric I had.  

I had a few problems of my own doing with my sewing machine but with perseverance I solved the issue.  It always purrs like a kitten and I was disturbed when it wasn't but I wanted the job done too. 

I checked my supply of twill tape and found nothing that was not synthetic in a warm color.  I decided to make my own from the fabric itself. I hope it is sturdy enough to stand the wear and tear.

I cut a strip of fabric 2 inches wide and about 18 inches long.  That should be enough. I ironed it in half then opened it and folded it in from both sides. I ironed that flat and sewed it along the open edge.

I cut the strip 4.5 inches long to make this hanging loop.  I decided to place it in the center of the tea towel this time rather than the corner.

This is such gorgeous fabric.  It drapes so beautifully.  The hanging loop in the center makes the tea towel hang shorter which may make a difference.

It is sown into the hem of the tea towel and I double stitched as that is where the most strain will take place.

I am getting better at making mitered corners.  These turned out really well and I added the bit across the corner that secures the folded piece under the miter.

I wanted to add a personal touch which would communicate how much I love her and think about her often.

My sister does a lot of embroidery so I thought I would give it a try.  Should be easy right? Let me say, not so much.  I used the chain stitch and some blue embroidery floss and placed it on the front where the hanging loop was on the back. Top center so she will see every time she uses it.

 Finished size: 19 in W x 28 in L
I am very happy with the end result!  I hope she likes them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. I love to read your comments.