Tuesday, January 14, 2020

Sewing Project - Mop Pads

I bought a new to me mop at the thrift shop last week because I have more hard surface cleaning than I used to and getting down on my knees is not working so much for me anymore.  This is a Mr. Clean Magic Reach Mop.  It has a telescoping handle and the head itself is sturdy foam.

I decided that I would make reusable and washable mop pads for it.  I chose some dark green microfiber fabric and some flannelette.  The 3 layers of the white flannelette was cut to the exact size of the mop head.  The green fabric was cut 1 inch larger than the flannelette and I cut 2 of them.


I sewed the flannelette to the back side of one of the green pieces going all around and making about 5 seams crisscrossing the elliptical shape.

I placed 2 lines of tight zigzag down the center of the other green piece (like a button hole) then cut in the middle, which will allow me to turn it over when it the greens are sewn together.  Once sewn I trimmed the pointy ends of excess fabric.




I turned it inside out with the slit allowing it to be installed onto the blue foam mop head.

The zig zag will prevent the ravelling of the green fabric.

It's a really nice snug fit.

I had made a DIY solution a while back with this recipe.  I put it in a spray bottle, sprayed the floor and wiped it with the mop.




It worked really well on both the lino and vinyl flooring.
The head is detachable so I can scrub a spot with more pressure. 






The mop is well made with a hanger.

I am really happy with this mop and the price of $3 was terrific!   I will be able to quickly do the hard surface floors in a few minutes.








1 comment:

  1. Sylvia - that is a steal at $3. And how clever to make re-usable covers. The mop is likely to last a very long time since the covers are taking the brunt of the work. And the covers can be washed! Something many of us can use!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love to read your comments.