Thursday, January 30, 2020

Sewing Project - Quilt 5 - IKEA Fabric Panel

I finished the companion quilt from the IKEA cotton panel of kid design.

Finished Size: 38.5" W x 44" T

Front: IKEA fabric panel

Backing: Caramel textured cotton fabric

Batting: Fleece

Binding: Striped cotton fabric

Quilting: Followed the stripes across the quilt.

Applique: Star from warm yellow fabric with ivory thread.





The backing fabric is opaque enough to hide the red color of the fleece inside.

The binding was leftover fabric in bright cheery colors similar to the front fabric.  It was cut to 2.5 inches.  You can check out this video for binding how to. Fool Proof Quilt Binding.

I pinned the layers together with small safety pins before I ran the lines of quilting across the front.  I chose ivory thread to hide it as much as possible.

I then squared it and applied the binding.  It will make a child a nice quilt to help them through a difficult time.

For the batting in between the front and back I used leftover pieces of fleece from this Pot Protector Project.

Lessons Learned: I decided to make my last seam along the binding. I ironed the binding at pinned it before making my last seam thinking I would have a better chance to catch the back layer but I did miss a few spots - more than I expected.  I will work on that.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. I love to read your comments.