Monday, January 25, 2021

Sylvia's Simple Shots

I captured this cute squirrel having a late afternoon snack. 

He had been digging under the snow at the foot of a small birch tree and I wondered what he was looking for. When he found it he came and sat in this tree and nicely posed for a photo.

Love how the color of what he is munching on is repeated in the orange on his head and tail.





I have put up the second photo shelf in the front hall.  I placed my award winning "Silver Roadster" framed photo on it along with a white ceramic tree.

This shelf is Mosslanda from IKEA which is 21.75" wide which was perfect for this space.  They make on which is 45" wide which I will use in the living room.

I ended up with black ones because that is all they had when I went shopping. With shopping in the pandemic I was not willing to just come back at a later time.  I was really wanting to test out how these would work before I invested bigger money in the 6 or 7 needed for the living room wall.

I am happy with these and will move forward with getting the wider ones.  I means painting the walls as well so it is not a quick job.


This is the reverse side of the blue one I posted last week.  It is a back drop for my photo studio made with a 18x24 inch artist board which I recycled.  

This is the actual canvas textured side of the board. I was going for warm tones on this side.  I cleared out a lot of my acrylic paint a couple of years ago and only kept a small box.  

The color I chose is Artist Pigment Burnt Carmine which was lighten with Warm White.  I created 3 tones, the original color, the base coat which has some white added then the lightest with more white added.

The whole board was done in the medium base coat.  It was recommended that we then apply some dark and lights and work them into the somewhat still wet base coat. On this side, this process almost completely removed the base coat from areas.  Maybe it's because it had been painted before but I had put 2 coats of primer on before the base coat.  I did the best I could then let it completely dry.  I then went back it with all three colors to cover the near bare spots.  Turned out alright.   And as luck would have it, I found a large cellophane envelope this morning which will protect it when it is stored with the other backdrops.  Yeah!

I've changed up my exercise routine.  I have been doing the last one since October 1st. With a new year I was ready for a change of moves.  I started doing the 1st mile of this DVD by Leslie Sansone.  I can choose to do any of the 5 miles so I can a different routine every day.

I don't think I will ever do 5 miles at one time which would take about 2 hours.

I created a stand for my new backdrop.  

I used some 2x4 and cut it into about 6" tall pieces. I sanded the edges then held them together with very long nails. I drilled a pilot hole through the first piece so it would be easier. Worked great!

In the video, they used big clips which I did not have so I used 2 small ones. A bit of a pain but it will do for now.

 
The challenge at Flickr Macro Monday is "Lockdown Song".  Music is not a big part of my life and then trying to interpret it into a photo was very challenging.  I was ready to pass this week but I went on line and search happy song.  The song HAPPY by Pharrell Willimas from Despicable Me showed up.  I had a Minion toy so I thought this could work.  This is the shot I submitted because I did not have a lot of options. 

You can check my Flicker photostream (SMDPics).


I am sharing with Angie who hosts Mosaic Monday #115 and Mersad who hosts Through my Lens #276.

6 comments:

  1. I like your Minion shot. Happy is a great place to be, especially during lockdown.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got a wonderful photo of the squirrel, Sylvia! He looks well fed and happy. I see many squirrels here running back and forth all day along our backyard fence. They hardly ever stop and pose. I always laugh when there is snow on the fence and they try to run sideways along the railing instead of getting their feet wet.
    Your shelf looks very attractive and I like you new background--both sides are pretty colors. Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sylvia - an adorable squirrel - because it is not in my yard eating from birdfeeders! Good luck with your new exercise routine. Thanks for linking to Mosaic Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cute the squirrel is! You look talented in art and craft. Keep up the good work.

    Yoko

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a wonderful photo of the squirrel, Sylvia. The light is so warm and lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the squirrel and I enjoy the Leslie videos. I have done a lot of different ones for 1 mile and even a three mile but five...probably will not even try.
    Dawn aka Spatulas On Parade

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love to read your comments.