Thursday, October 27, 2022

Sylvia's Simple Shots

My sister cooked turkey for my visit following our Thanksgiving here in Canada.  I am lucky that my brother in law will eat turkey anytime.  They were with their daughter for the celebrations so there were no precious leftovers so it was good to cook a bird at her house.

I am very grateful for the thoughtfulness and willingness to do it on her part.

Of course, it was delicious and I brought a take away meal home as well which was fortunate because I was caught in a traffic jam on our biggest highway and got home two hours later than anticipated.  Someone died in the accident that caused the jam I was again grateful to be home with just the gas tank a little lower than expected.

I have spent the last few weeks reading non fiction for at change, not deliberately but it was interesting.

I was intrigued by the title so I brought it home.  If They Say No Just Say Next! by John Fuhrman. It is a sentiment I have come to appreciate to live a happier life. A no is an opportunity to change directions, change my mind, rethink where I am at.  It's not fun but the quicker I accept and move on the better for my mental health.

This book was written for a multi-level business model so there were parts I just skimmed over.  There were some good life lessons I was reminded of so it was worth giving it a read.

 


Chicken Soup of the Soul - O Canada - Jack Canfield Mark Victor Hansen Amy Newmark was the next book.  These are always uplifting stories.  I knew for sure that I would relate to some of the stories but I have to say though after the 6th hockey story I just started skipping the hockey ones.  It was likely half the book but the other half was good as usual.

Dropped Threads - What We Weren't Told - Edited by Carol Shields and Marjorie Anderson.  Again, the title intrigued me so I brought it home.

Stories of Canadian women from various stages of life and many walks of life.  I did read all the stories but some I really could not relate to.

It broadened my understanding of the lives and struggles of women not like me.  Those who were mothers, those who had high profile careers, and those who suffered injustices.

Definitely worth a read as I am sure there are universal women themes which will likely be relatable.

I am ready for a great novel.


I picked up this pretty daisy shaped watercolor palette in my shopping trips for unique diffuser containers.  

It was very inexpensive and I did think of making it a diffuser but no inspiration came of it so it has been moved to the craft table.






I went to visit Mom on the weekend.  She is doing so much better.  She has a ways to go physically by I felt I had my Mom back.  

We had a good visit and played a few games which was really nice.  I ran the necessary errands and she had a nap.

I stayed over at my sisters and we woke to heavy frost on the world around us.  It made all things sparkly and bright.  It was cold at -5C.

One the drive home I saw fog for a while but then the sun burnt it off the the rest of the few hours was great.






I saw Snow Geese up close for the first time!  In years past, I have seen them in fields in the spring on their way up to the Arctic. Earlier this month, on a trip see Mom I had seen them on one of the lakes but it is a busy highway and there was no chance to stop plus I was due someplace.
I went for a walk while Mom rested and I heard this cackling and looked around to see the source.  Across the lake I could see a sea of white.  I hurried back to the car and drove around the end of the lake to the other side. There they were!  All bobbing in the water, some slowly descending to the water surface.  Their distinct white bodies with black wing tips. The sound was loud.  The flock stuck together as they have been traveling in a groups for days already with a long ways to go.  During the hour that I spent with them they flew up into the air en masse a couple of times.  It is truly amazing. I am so glad that after glimpses I was able to experience them up close.  

1 comment:

  1. That snow geese in the air in sheer huge numbers is a visual feast indeed

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love to read your comments.