Thursday, March 30, 2023

Sewing Project - Frame Bag

I am so grateful to be bringing art to the gallery again.

But with my other frame bags are packed so I decided to make another one. 

I had this piece of blue pattern fabric which was just about the right size.  I decided to pair it with some of the left over navy microfiber fabric.  I cut the navy about 3 inches bigger than the patterned.  I hemmed the patterned piece all the way around. I then sewed hems to the back and front ends of the navy. I stitched the patterned to the navy.

The fleece piece are an old pair of fleece pants that had worn out spots.  I used the bottom of the legs and quilted the pieces together, then cut it to fit in the navy piece.

I folded the navy piece right side together then layered the fleece layer on top.  Pinned the right and left hand edges very well and sewed a narrow seam.  I turned right side out and topped stitched the side seams to enclosed the raw fabric edges.

The finished bag measures 20.5 inches wide by 17 inches tall with the fleece divider sandwiched in the middle.  The divider is just a bit shorter than the front and is only captured in the sides seams and loose at the folded bottom.

The handles are white 1" wide grosgrain ribbon and extend about 8 inches above the top edge of the bag.  Enough room to put it over your arm comfortably.

They are well secured to both layers of fabric with double stitched rectangles in 2 places.




By placing the frames facing the fleece divider the glass is protected from hits from the sides of the bag.

The frames are protected from dings and scratches as they are completed enclosed in fabric.

I really like to enclose my seams which finishes the seams nice on the inside as well.

I am only considering 11x14 frames at the moment for art at the gallery so this works really well.



1 comment:

  1. That's such a good idea to have a bag that perfectly fits and protects it. How clever you are!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love to read your comments.