Thursday, January 16, 2020

Sewing Project - Quilt 1 - Red, White & Ivory

I have started quilting again following the holidays.  

I inherited this quilt top, backer and binding fabric following the death of a member of our quilting group.  I received the material in October about a year after her death.  She volunteered with Grandmothers in Alberta for a New Generation who organizes "Fabric Frenzy" every year in the spring.  This is a fundraiser for grandmothers raising grandchildren in Africa due to the HIV epidemic. 

The finished quilt measures 48.5 inches wide and 56.5 inches tall.

The topper is designed with 4 inch squares.  There are two different 4 patch squares with red ones and ivory ones with patterned deep red squares.  The fabric is 100% cotton.

The backer fabric is created by Marcus Fabrics - American Pastimes by the New England Quilt Museum.


The same fabric was used for the binding.

The batting on the inside is a heavy flannel fabric.

I cut the backer fabric and the flannel with extra to allow space to trim it once the quilting was done.

I then pinned the 3 layers together and quilting it by sewing on the diagonal on the single deep red squares.  I only had very small pins but it seemed to do the trick.


















I normally do Quilt as you Go which works better with my space and sewing machine.   It was a bit of challenge to do the quilting with my machine and small table but perseverance provides success in the end.


This quilt will be donated to the children who find themselves in crisis.

I was honored to be asked to complete this project for our friend.   She enjoyed quilting and working with the group of women who work all year long to organize this popular fundraiser.

Of course, working with fabric was right up alley and many members of our group support the fundraiser which add to our fabric stash.

The fundraiser separates the quilting fabric from the other types of fabrics like fleece, upholstery, knits, etc.  That is very convenient for us quilters.

I will bring it to quilting before it is donated so the girls can see the finished quilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. I love to read your comments.