Sunday, April 26, 2020

Sewing Project - Zippered Tote

I made myself a zippered multi pocket tote today.  I have been thinking about this project for several months.  It will replace this one.

I wanted to make some improvements mainly a zipper at the top to ensure the contents stay inside. I wanted more outside pockets. Having a pen handy is always nice.  I have purchased a small binder to use which would not have a space for a pen so the bag needed one.

I did watch several videos as refresher on assembling a tote and in particular for the zipper. 

The fabric I used is from a fall jacket that the zipper has been a problem.  I have replaced the jacket.  Since I have been wearing the jacket for at least 7 years and the fabric seems indestructible,  why not use it for a bag that will get a lot of use.  I used one sleeve from the jacket, the dark green outer fabric and the navy lining.  I used the inside of the green as my good side of the bag.

The exterior piece of the tote measures 9.25 T and 20.5" W.  I used grey thread since I did not have any dark green thread.  Would have been better on the strap top stitching if it had been dark.

The pocket panels I created from batik cotton in wonderful colors on one side and a cherry colored cotton on the other side.  I only had 2 small pieces of the batik so I wanted to make best use of it. Those are 4.5" W and 9.25 T same as the main piece. I top stitched just below the cherry on the top before I sewed the panels to the dark green exterior along the other edge. I placed the panels 2.25" apart based on the center of the exterior panel at 10.25 inches.  I am planning a 2" box bottom.

The straps pieces were cut 1.5 inches wide and over 35 inches long.  I used the bias seam approach from my quilts to connect 2 pieces to create my straps. I sewed the side then turned them inside out.

Finished they were .5 " wide and 33" inches long.   I wanted the straps to run the full length of the tote.

I created 2 bags with the lining one just a smidge smaller than the exterior one.  I sewed the 2 side seams, boxed the corners on both at 2" then tacked them down to the bottom with a triangle of stitching.  This was done on the green and the navy one.  I added a narrow channel of green fabric on the one side.

I placed the exterior inside the lining and sewed the top edge leaving an open space to turn them inside out.  Once right side out and the lining in the tote and put a line of decorative stitching along the top to close the opening and add a bit of stiffness to the top edge.

The straps were added once the tote was assembled because I wanted them to hold the lining in place as well as create the pockets on the outside.  I placed them 2.25" from the side seam. I started on the bottom, pinned everything very well and tacked the strap 2 inches from the top edge.  Putting on the straps was quite challenging because there not much room to maneuver.

Just being patient and pinning very closely it worked out well.  I have 6 outside pockets in this tote.  The center pockets are larger and the side ones are smaller.  Just what I wanted.  I added some batik fabric at the very top of the handles where they will get the most wear.

Then it was the zipper.  I had prepared the zipper ahead of time and wanted to insert it inside for a recessed one.  But of course, the batik fabric panels on each side were too long now that I had box corners.  Plan B.  I just sewed the panels to the outside of the tote where I had reinforced the edge with decorative stitch earlier.   I added extra reinforcement X a little higher on the strap now that I had cotton behind it which will give it more strength and it is still not too close to the zipper.

I added pull tabs at each end of the zipper to help with opening and closing it.  I left extra zipper so that the bag can be opened the full width of the bag. Makes getting things in and out easy.







The channel on the one side is designed to hold a pen.  I am still a notebook and pen person.  I carry a note book every time I got out which contains listings of the day's list as well anything I am on the hunt for.  I track size, color, and other details so I am prepared when the right thing comes along.

That is why I always carry my measuring tape. In the past it lived in a pouch but this will do nicely.

Considering the old is 3 years old and barely shows wear this one should last a long time.   I love the batik fabric and it works so well with the dark green fabric of the tote.

It took most of the day but really happy with this project.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. I love to read your comments.