Monday, April 27, 2020

The Other Day Captures

Spring is here! 

She continues to bring forth new life as tender shoots burst through the ground, tiny purple flowers were in the sunniest spot, and the harbinger of spring the American Robin is back with her song. 

My walks on the weekend were better than during the week for having people around.  I really enjoyed them with only seeing a few people social distancing so I could concentrate on the photography.


These are a few of the pieces I was able to put together in my puzzle in 4 days. 

I have decided that puzzle making is not for me right now.  It takes precious space which I would rather use for sewing.

The pieces all went back into the box and it will go to my brother in law who makes the all the time.  It may go to Dad after that.  Not sure the subject matter would be appealing to Dad.

This was a great book.  We follow Hannah in the 1930's just before the Second World War was declared.  She is a Jew living in Germany so of course life is changing fast.  A new normal is in place for her.  Interesting parallel to our lives today. 

Anna is the great grand daughter living in 2014 in New York. On her 12th birthday she receives a few photographs from Cuba.   What is this?  Her father died in 9/11 so it is her mother and her.  Her mother has not recovered from the loss of her husband so Anna is her caretaker.

The MS St. Louis cruise ship features in Hannah's story.

The photographs help to encourage Anna's mother and they plan a trip to Cuba. The stories come together and now they are linked becomes clear.

For me, the story comes across about living life defeated and not fighting back for the mothers of both of these 12 year olds.  I am blessed to say that grief has not visited often.

I put a few pretty things on the window sill this week.  Mostly dried stuff: dried wheat stalk, feathery greenery and curvy grasses. The ones on the right are dried seed heads from some flowers.  One yellow daisy showed up for my photography.

I was reminded of a book I took out of the library a few years ago called Window Sill Art.  You can check out my earlier post with the link above.

It became clear that I need to wash my windows.

Flickr Macro Monday theme this well was WindowSill so that is why I have been putting things out all week.  I love the morning sun in my dining room window.
You can check out my Flickr Photostream SMDPics as well to see what challenges I joined this week.

Sharing with Angie who hosts Mosaic Monday #77 and Mersad at Through My Lens #238

Have a good week, stay home and be safe!

7 comments:

  1. Sylvia - looks like you are staying busy despite the virus - well done. I thought I would have more time for reading, but somehow it still takes me weeks to get through one book. Thanks for linking to Mosaic Monday, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spring is here thank goodness. Lovely collection of Spring photos too. The book sounds fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do lots of puzzles on my iPad. They don't take any space and you can set them for easy or hard. And there are hints when you just can't find a place for the piece. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margy, I never even thought of online puzzles. I will investigate that. Thanks for letting me know. Sylvia D

      Delete
  4. I like to do online jigsaw puzzles that are about 180 pieces so that I can complete it in one sitting. Instant gratification. :-) Very cool window sill photos. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Puzzles are not in our future as we have 3 kitties who would love nothing better than to trash them LOL
    Rain here but we are safe at home.
    Dawn aka Spatulas On Parade

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've done 2 1000 piece puzzles so far, but your right, they do take up space!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love to read your comments.