Wednesday, April 6, 2022

Sylvia's Simple Shots


Cool Water by Dianne Warren.   Another Saskatchewan story.
Juliet, Saskatchewan, is a blink-of-an-eye kind of town -- the welcome sign announces a population of 1,011 people -- and it''s easy to imagine that nothing happens on its hot and dusty streets. Situated on the edge of the Little Snake sand hills, Juliet and its inhabitants are caught in limbo between a century -- old promise of prosperity and whatever lies ahead.

But the heart of the town beats in the rich and overlapping stories of its people: 
the foundling who now owns the farm his adoptive family left him; 
the pregnant teenager and her mother, planning a fairytale wedding; 
a shy couple, well beyond middle age, struggling with the recognition of their feelings for one another; 
a camel named Antoinette; 
and the ubiquitous wind and sand that forever shift the landscape. Their stories bring the prairie desert and the town of Juliet to vivid and enduring life.

It was a different kind of book and a nice change of pace.

The sun is shining this morning and the place is bright and wonderful feeling.

I am learning a new way of living where everything has a home and it is returned there at the end of the day.  That I have only enough stuff for the space I have so that this practice can continue.

Big projects are on hold.

It means having to discern my very top priorities and concentrating on those.  

I have learned that in the past I have not cleared the stuff from one past time before moving onto another so stuff accumulated and sat around taking up precious space.


This place has space to breathe, relax and live a quieter life.   Is that what I want?


I did manage a few photo challenges this week.  Macro Mondays was Reflections so these were a couple of the shots I took.
This is a very old book which has fallen apart and I kept some of the pages to print cool stuff on them.  It's been sitting for about 6 years - am I really going to print on them?  And if I do what will I do with them?  I am no longer going to craft markets so supplies destined for those projects have to go. 

I love the depth of field I acheived in this shot.  The texture of the old book signatures are wonderful.

To me books are precious and should not be thrown away.  The ReUse center is now open so that is likely where it will go to be found by a teacher, student or other creative person.

This Y is for Yesterday book is the last of the Alphabet Series of books by Sue Grafton because she died before she wrote the Z book. 

This starts with high school antics which turn bad and I was not sure I was going to finish it.

It was better once we were with Kinsey Milhone the detective in the present.   

Crimes are committed by teenagers, some are held accountable, others are not.   Once prison sentences are done and the dues to society have been paid, one should be able to move on but those who have not paid drag those have paid down with them again.

Kinsey of course is in the middle trying to figure out the players, who did what and why things don't add up.

I did finish the book and it was okay. 

2 comments:

  1. I have way too much stuff but I manage to keep things in their place. I don't like anything out of place...it makes me crazy! lol But I could get rid of more things and feel better I'm sure. I should make time to do that. Your sunny room looks so inviting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sylvia - glad you are getting accustomed to your new place. Sunshine always makes me feel better! Love the shot of the old book. And your conversation with yourself reminds me of a discussion I have had with my husband about ceramic tile that has been stacked in a corner of our garage for four years (since the house was built) just waiting for the perfect project!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love to read your comments.