Friday, December 15, 2023

Sewing Project - TV Chair Outfit - Chair Caddy

Today, I worked on the caddy for my chair that at minimum would hold my TV remote so I can always find it.

Here's the overall photo.  It is sitting over the arm of the chair on my right.

It has 2 pockets - a small for the remote and another larger for who knows what.

I started again with the stash of fabric that I had assembled for this project.

I realized that the caddy had to have some stiffness as it was not going to sit flush against the side of the chair.

I had a piece of 100% cotton upholstery fabric which I thought would do the job.  The color was within the family of colors but I decided I preferred to have the caddy blend in as much as possible. I checked on the size and it was not too big so I just keep it the size it was. 

I did have enough of the warm grey microfiber fabric I had used behind the headrest cover.  Excellent.

I cut the warm grey fabric to be about 1.5 inches larger than the cotton piece in all directions.  I then folded .75 inches then again to bring that hem over the edge of the cotton.  Once I had ironed, pinned and mitered the corners I sewed a seam very close to the edge all the way around. The cotton would be on the under side of the caddy. 

The pocket was the same warm grey microfiber.  I cut the pocket about 7 inches tall and 2 inches wider than the base to allow for some ease in the pocket(s).

I then used a small leftover piece of the fabric I had used on the cushion cover to edge the top of the pocket.  It was the perfect size.  I serged the cut edges of this piece before I sewed it to the top of the pocket piece.  I top stitched along the seam as well as along the top edge.

I folded the side edges and the bottom edge and ironed those flat.  It was then pinned to the edges first.  I marked the center to make sure ease was evenly distributed. I make a pleat in each pocket and then sewed all three sides of the pocket to the main piece.  I did have to shorten the small pocket for the remote because it fell too deep and it was hard to get out.

With the final project nicely ironed, all the stray threads trimmed, it was time to install it on the chair.

It is long enough that flap that sits on the inside of the chair goes deep between the cushion and the side of the chair.  There is not need for any other mechanism to keep it in place.

I now have an extra pocket which I don't know what it will hold but it's ready for use whenever inspiration hits.

This has been a very satisfying project.

All the pieces are bespoke, just the right color and size, with all the colors and patterns coordinating.

Love IT!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. I love to read your comments.