Tuesday, February 27, 2024

Sewing Project - Pojagi Wrap Beige and Blue

I've been thinking about doing a big Pojagi project so I decided I needed some practice before tackling it.

It does need a change in thinking to do this with the sewing machine - especially if you are using one or two single sided fabric.

I was given a gift of a box of fabric by Michelle at ReImagined Fabrics.  Thanks so much!

I have sorted all the precut squares and many are cotton polyester or all polyester.  To gain the benefit of Pojagi thinner fabrics are best. There are some cotton ones as well but I was focusing on the thin ones.

The beige in this piece is a very thin cotton poly blend and has no right side.  You can see in the photo where the texture of the curtain shows right through the beige. The squares were cut to 9.5 inches. 

The patterned pieces are very polyestery but a bit thicker and does have a right and wrong side.  Gorgeous pattern and jewel toned colors.  The squares were cut at just under 7".  I found this video about sewing Pojagi on a sewing machine.

I decided that I wanted all my double seams on same side or "top" of my wrap.  This video "Rules" of Pojagi Seams by the same person does a good job of explaining this.  I did get one of my squares right side to the back but decided to leave as that was early on and this was just practice. Later, I did undo 2 seams to get one square right side to the front. 

It is very difficult to plan and decide on sizes of fabric needed.  I just started sewing and then aimed to create rectangles and cut the excess fabric away to achieve that.

I just made a turned over hem around the edge with the double lines on top.  This measures 24 wide x 26 inches tall.  It will wrap a gift or can be used as a topper on a table cloth. I did lose track of time but this project took at least 4 hours to complete.

I think my goal would be to create a piece of reversible fabric then make a sewing project from it. Tackling the pajogi and sewing project at the same time would be too much for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. I love to read your comments.