Sunday, September 13, 2026

Needle Minders

I decided to make some needle minders for Christmas Store.  

Needle minders are a tool that allows you to park your needle when you stop working on your stitching and not have it go missing.  We all have been there. They have a powerful rare earth magnet in them that it needs to be kept away from electronics, kids and pets.

I did try several approaches which involved placing the magnet in fabric but it lessened it's effectiveness to much for my liking.  I then did a deep dive in my metal storage bins to see what was there.  It yielded some goodies. Of course, some of the metal I had was not steel and was not attracted to the magnet at all.

How to Use the Needle Minder: Placing the magnet against the front fabric of your project just place the other on the back of your fabric. When leaving your stitching for a bit just place your needle in the center of the minder and it will be there when you get back.

Packaged it in cellophane and stapled on a header.

For this minder I chose 2 identical metal flowers in a bronze color.

I glued the rare earth magnet to the front one and let that dry over night.

With the magnet just behind the front flower the head pin stays in place nicely.  I chose head pins as I have plenty in supply but needles were more precious.

Here I chose some Aida cloth and stitched a frame with yellow thread.

I added a head pin in the same color.


For this minder I chose a metal snowflake.

I glued the 1/4 in rare earth magnet to the back and let it dry over night.

I spent some time designing the backs for these unmatched pieces.  I settled on a large circular brad I had in my paper crafting supplies.

I searched through my button collection to find buttons that would fit tightly in the cup on the back of the brad.  I glued the button in place and let it dry over night.

I cut a piece of ivory Aida cloth and stitched a red square frame and paired it with a red head pin.  The backer has a red button.
I used another bronzed colored metal snowflake for this minder.

I glued the rare earth magnet in the center of the snowflake. The sparkly in the center is the glue coming through the holes in the center.

The backer was created with a gold brad and a creamy ivory button which was glued in place Both piece were left to dry over night.

I stitched a frame in ivory thread on my Aida cloth which does not show up very well. 

I paired it with a pearl head pin.


For this needle minder I chose gold colored metal hearts. I glued a magnet in the back of the front one.  I also added a short string of beads through the hole at the top which helps with separating the minder.

I glued the rare earth magnet to the front beaded heart.  Since both piece are the same the beads let you know which has the magnet. I let the glue dry over night.

I chose a piece of printed linen for this one.  I stitched a frame in warm peach colors to coordinate with the beads. I chose a warm orange head pin.
For this needle minder I paired a couple of bronze colored metal brads.  The front one I trimmed the long prongs leaving space for the 1/4" rare earth magnet. I glued it in place.

The back one I glued a brown button in place and left both to dry over night.

I chose a piece of warm grey linen fabric and stitched a narrow frame in black thread. I  added a box in the lower half for the minder.

I added a black head pin.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. I love to read your comments.