Sunday, September 13, 2026

Needle Minders - set 2

Needle minders are a tool that allows you to park your needle when you stop working on your stitching and not have it go missing. We all have been there. They have a powerful rare earth magnet in them that it needs to be kept away from electronics, kids and pets.

I did try several approaches which involved placing the magnet in fabric but it lessened it's effectiveness to much for my liking. I then did a deep dive in my metal storage bins to see what was there. It yielded some goodies. Of course, some of the metal I had was not steel and was not attracted to the magnet at all.

How to Use the Needle Minder: Placing the magnet against the front fabric of your project just place the other on the back of your fabric. When leaving your stitching for a bit just place your needle in the center of the minder and it will be there when you get back.

Packaged it in cellophane and stapled on a header.

For this minder I chose 2 red circle brads.  I cut the prongs on the back leaving just enough space to glue the 1/4" rare earth magnet.

I glued a dark grey button to the back of the other brad after I had removed the prongs completely to give good adhesion of the button.  These dried over night.

I stitched a black frame on the ivory Aida cloth.

I added a black head pin to match the button and the frame.

This minder features another pair of circle brads in a bronze color metal.

I glued the 1/4" rare earth magnet to the center where I had cut the prongs to leave just enough space for it.

For the back piece I removed the prongs completely and chose a light grey button which was glued nicely sitting in the cup of the brad. These dried over night.

I added a stitched frame to the warm grey linen fabric which hardly shows.  

I paired it with a pearl head pin.

This needle minder features a silver metal butterfly for the front piece.

I glued the magnet to the back of the butterfly and let it dry over night.

The back piece is a smallish metal embossed disk. It had a hole at the top and since it was small I added a string of beads to help separate the pieces.

I stitched a frame with black thread on the warm grey linen fabric.  

I added a red head pin to coordinate with the red beads on the back piece.

Here I paired 2 gold colored metal circle brads.

I trimmed the prongs on the back of the front piece to leave just enough space for the 1/4" rare earth magnet and glued it in place.

On the back piece I removed the prongs completely and glued an ivory button in the cup of the brad.  These were left to dry overnight.

I chose Aida cloth and stitched a blue square frame where the minder would sit.

I paired it with a yellow head pin.
Another heart needle minder.  I used 2 identical metal heart shapes.

I glued a 1/4" rare earth magnet to the back of the front one.  To help the user now which has the magnet I added a string of beads strung through the top hole.  I let the glue dry over night.

The back one is just plain.

I chose a left over piece of cotton from a recent project and stitched a frame around the edge in purple thread.

I added a purple head pin.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. I love to read your comments.