Monday, September 28, 2026

Fabric Patches - Some More

The idea sprang into my head this morning after sorting all those tiny squares yesterday.

This beige patterned fabric made me think wood.  I cut the spool from one 2" square.

I created a sandwich of teal cotton and a white foundation layer.

I used some cotton yarn split in two strands to add the "thread" to the spool. I stitched the swirly bit and left a length dangling for the needle.

I added a needle with grey thread. 

I used to have measuring tape ribbon but a search of many boxes yielded nothing.

I cut a length of yellow grosgrain ribbon and marked the inches with a Sharpie marker. I stitched it on with black thread on the inch and half inch marks.

Machine stitched to a black patch.

I have already used some of the 2" square I found at ReUse last week.

I chose some blue patterned pieces to make a 4 patch.  I stitched those to a white cotton foundation layer along the outside edge and all the internal connections as well.

I chose another 2" square in medium blue and blanket stitched it to center of the art layer. 

I added a star in the middle with a few French knots in the center.

I machine stitched it to the denim blue patch.

This little bunny rabbit came from the 2" square stash as well.

I paired the focal element with 4 peach squares which were stitched to a foundation layer of white cotton.  Around the outside edge as well as the inside joins.

I stitched the rabbit square with peach running stitch and the filled the gaps with purple thread by going around again.

Machine stitched to a purple patch.





I invisible basted a piece of blue sky fabric to a white cotton foundation piece.

I cut a balloon from a coordinating printed fabric.  I added 3 rounds of running stitch in blue, pink and white.

I created a string for the balloon with a piece of aqua satin ribbon with the same 3 colors of running stitches.  I put a couple of curves in the string.

I machine stitched my art layer to the purple patch.




I wanted to make a patch with lace so I dug in the stash and found this scallop piece.

I created a sandwich of purple batik and white cotton foundation layer.

I stitched the lace with sewing thread to match the lavender background.  I folded the edges to the back so they will be finished.

I added some textured by following the lines in the background.

I created 3 flowers with stitching with white and green and yellow centers.

Machine stitched art to the purple patch.


I decided to make more masculine patches but I am not sure my choice of fabric meets that goal.

I paired a orange, pink, yellow fabric with a yellow for shadow layer.  I paired a bright orange fabric with a white cotton foundation layer.

I stitched the yellow star first then the bright one on top.  I did running stitched around the shape ending in the middle with about 5 gos around.

I machine stitched the patch to a Carhartt ginger brown patch which matches one of the colors in the star fabric.



I did some Sashiko stars on a piece of navy cotton layered with a light blue cotton layer.

Again, I just stitched the stars one at a time because my brain can't work out the geometry to have the lines align properly diagonally.

I chose light blue thread for the stars.  I marked my centers with a white erasable pencil.

The art layer was machine stitched to a medium blue denim patch.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. I love to read your comments.