Friday, January 11, 2019

Bound - Project 1 - Art Album

I received this book Bound - 15 Beautiful Bookbinding Project by Rachel Hazell for review just before my crazy craft sale season started in October so I am just getting around to making my first project from the book.

I have been looking to develop some photo related products. After some research, I found several handmade Instagram Albums which I thought were a good idea.  We need to get those pics off our phones.

It paired well with the Five Hole Pamphlet project in this book so I moved forward.







I needed square pages to accommodate the 4x4 Instagram photos.  Of course, I am very familiar with that format as I used it all the time in my photo calendars.

I started with a piece of paper 4.25 x 11 inches which is half of a letter sized sheet of card stock.

After printing a bit on it I scored it at .5 in, 5 in, 9.5 in.

I created holes on the spine at the center 2 1/8 inches and at .5 from the top and bottom edges of the 4.25 inch. The book was too small to have 5 holes as the project in the book.











I chose color thread to provide some interest.  The half inch flap on the left helps to keep the pages in and the large flap on the right provides place to document the 12 pieces inside the album.

The stitching is start from the outside through the center hole, go up to the top hole through to the outside again, down the spine to the bottom hole and then through the center hole to the outside again.  Before making your knot make sure the 2 threads are on either side of the length of the spine.  Pull taut and double knot.  I left the thread long enough to tie the album closed.

Version 2.0
I decided that I could improve on the design so I took another stab at it.  By cutting the card stock in half the other way 8.5 x 4.25 I could get a cover that was 4.25 inches square when folded.   I decided to put the index on the inside front cover.  The pages are cut just a smidge under the 4.25 inches to allow for the stacking of the pages. Still plenty of room for the 4 inch art.

I embellished the thread lengths off the knot with E-Beads.

I produced a tag which provides the buyer with how the album can be used.  It  can be filled with Instagram photos, Mini Paintings (watercolor or acrylic), Poetry, Comic Strips, Drawings, or Everyday Pics

It can be used for: A Photo Album, Flip Book, Portofolio

Makes a great gift for: Bridal Party, Grandparents, Clients, & Friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. I love to read your comments.