Thursday, January 31, 2019

Photo Blogging Challenge - Jan - Books

01 - Photography

I have always taken pictures.  I have gotten more into photography in the last couple of years.  Of course the internet is wonderful but I love books.  

I have picked up a few books on photography and purchased one book from a local photographer Daryl Benson.

I have a Flickr account where I join challenges to improve my range of photos.


 02 - Fiction

I discovered author Kate Morton in 2018.  She is an Australian writer who writes in my opinion epic stories.  The ones I have read span 50 - 100 years.  They are addictive and I do confess that each of these books was read in long reading sessions.  There is a lot to keep track of so short sessions may make it difficult to get back into the details of the story.  If I had to read them in shorter sessions I would document the characters and some of the salient details as I read to allow me to get back in the story faster.

I generally do not purchase books.  I lead a fellowship group and we have a monthly book swap so I have been able to access books without buying them.   These were too compelling for me not to own the books.  I bought the first two from thrift stores but I confess buying the last one retail.  
I was introduced through a fellow blogger who had written a review of the Forgotten Garden. The Lake House and The Clockmaker's Daughter followed.


03 - Scrapbooking
 
I did quite a bit of traditional scrapbooking about 10 years ago.  I had a couple of friends who were doing it.  We would get together had have full day sessions.  I enjoyed organizing and documenting my life on those pages.    


As a paper crafter I had all the stuff to move into the craft and as an avid photo taker I had lots of pictures to document my experiences.

I really want to get back into it now that I have more time. 

Many of my friends have turned to digital scrapbooking or just producing photo books.  There is a certain temptation do go down that road with all the paper I have it would make sense to turn it into something useful.

The industry has changed so much in the last few years. 


04 - Paper Crafting

I have been an avid card maker for decades.  I facilitated a card making group for the last 15 years but the craft is in great decline.  My group has been disbanded due to lack of interest.

I collected many magazines and books on paper crafting before the internet became what is is today.

I am reticent to get rid of them and so they sit on the shelf for now.

I am concentrating on making photo cards now that it is my focus.




05 - Software Development

These books are remnants from a previous life as a software developer.

They are large and heavy books on average. 

Now they serve as weights for paper crafting projects and do the job very well.





I am sharing in the Photo Blogging Challenge hosted by PJ at L'il HooHaa

3 comments:

  1. Nice to meet you, Sylvia. Greetings from Toronto! ☺ Those photography books must be fabulous. Have you checked out Instagram? It's a great platform for photographers, with plenty of challenges, prompts and groups, as well. Card making is such a lovely art. How sad the practice of sending cards is dying out, along with handwritten notes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent set of photos for this month's theme. Welcome aboard and maybe we'll see you in the future challenges, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have a lot in common (except for that coding thing....)! I think I'll download one of the Kate Morton books and take it for a test drive. I love epic novels. I also luuuuvvvv photography and just ordered a 4T external hard drive primarily for all the photos I've taken and plan to take. Being a graphic designer and former book designer, I love all things paper! Thanks for stopping by my place for the photo challenge. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love to read your comments.