Sunday, May 2, 2021

Art Project - My Square

My aunt has proposed an art project and requested a fabric art piece from all the women in our extended family.

This is my piece.  It was recommended that 6x6 be the largest it could be so that is what I chose.

Being a photographer I decided to feature a camera on my square.  I did some research on camera quilts and there were a few patterns out there but of course way too big. 

I designed the block on grid paper so I did not get the proportions wrong. Originally, I wanted to create the camera like paper piecing but it quickly became obvious this was too small a scale for that technique.

I chose a printed white on white background fabric.  Based on the grid pattern I cut my camera from black cotton fabric and appliqued it to the background.  I cut a 2" circle from silver lame metallic fabric which my sister contributed.  Thanks!  I cut the black and white circle at the same time with my Spellbinder Nestabilities and the Big Shot machine.  Then I cut the black and white again to reveal the silver behind.  These were appliqued to the front of the camera. 

I found a translucent button for the sensor which was sewn on with silver metallic thread.  I cut silver fabric for the shutter button and the flash.  These were appliqued on with stitching. 

I found a couple of ivory heart buttons and placed those on either side of my word which is a staple for portrait photographers.  I cut the word out with my Stampin Up Little Letters thinlit dies from red and white fabric to which I had ironed Heat and Bond on the back.  I just lined them up and ironed them above the camera.  I then stitched on the heart buttons. I added silver thread light flashes going out from the flash on the camera. 

I lined the square with a piece of flannelette for a bit of padding.  I cut my backing fabric 1" bigger than my 6" front square.  I then pressed the binding to the front and pinned it very carefully.  I then stitched it down with a straight stitch.  

I added my name in permanent marker in the bottom right hand corner.  It will be off in the mail this week.

1 comment:

  1. You did a great job with designing and sewing your art square, Sylvia. It looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love to read your comments.