Saturday, August 31, 2019

Photo Blogging Challenge - The Written Word

Handwritten Word 

I did some calligraphy for a photo challenge early in August.

I used watercolor and a plastic nib pen which I have had forever.

I did quite a bit of practicing before I was happy with my letters. It has been years since I did any formal hand writing.




Vintage Word - These are some of the oldest books I own.  I did buy some of them for photo props because of their vintage look with the gold embossed letters and classic neutral cover colors.

Keys to Happiness was published by Reader's Digest in 1955.

Moonfleet by Faulkner I have read was published in 1952.  I should read it because I discovered today that it is set in Dorset England and is a mystery.

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte was originally published 1847.  This copy was published in 1974 for the Pebbles Classic Library set.

My written word 

I am still a pen and paper lady.  I use a small note book to track things I have to do which is always with me when I head out of the house.

Grocery lists are printed on the computer but crossed out as I put the items in my cart.

I don't have lists on my phone.   

I always carry lists of the photo challenges I am wanting to enter so as I travel around I can take appropriate pictures.

This is a recent hard cover dictionary I purchased second hand.  I have only had inexpensive soft cover dictionaries and this one feel like a "real" book.

The letters are not gold but just embossed on the cover.  I used a photo filter to highlight the letters to make them more legible in this photo.

The pages have watercolored texture applied to them which works really well.

Fictional Written Words

I read a lot in my 20's then life got busy and work was stressful and I got out of the habit of reading.

Since I retired I have taken up the hobby again.  I am loving it so much.

We have a book exchange within my monthly fellowship group - Welcome to my Kitchen.  We share books and good stories which is part of the fun.

I have found my favorite type of book is historical fiction especially England and France.

Sharing with P.J. who is hosting the Photo Blogging Challenge - Written Word.

6 comments:

  1. Great collection of photographs, Sylvia!

    I have a lot of pretty paper notebooks even though I mostly use apps or simple notepads for to do and grocery lists.
    I use the books to take notes for blog ideas and more long term ideas. Sometimes actually "writing" down things helps to sort out my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am an avid reader and book lover, list writer and note keeper. Thank you for sharing your photos with us and the lovely books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just retired as well and have taken up the hobby of reading again. Work got in the way previously.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to do some calligraphy in my younger days. It was so much fun creating those letters. I'm coveting those vintage books!! And, I still write out my grocery lists. Can't get into the habit of creating them on my phone.
    https://peripheralperceptions.wordpress.com/2019/08/31/august-photo-challenge-the-written-word/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your selection of photos for this month. It shows different sides of the written word, which is cool. I like the writing on the top photo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely peek at how the written word fits into your life. I think a lot of us who grew up reading, return to it when our schedules allow. I was very interested to see the 1955 Reader's Digest Happiness book...perhaps one of the earliest pop psychology/self help titles?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love to read your comments.