Monday, August 19, 2019

Recent Photos

The summer continues to be wet and each morning this is what the grass looks like. 

I love the way this image looks with the few in focus with the far and close ones out of focus.

The water drops create wonderful bokeh in the front.

I had to get down low so my knees got wet but it was worth it.





This is what the vase of yellow flowers looks like now.  When they withered I removed the water and let them dry naturally.

I took this photo in my living room as the sun started appearing through the window.  Of course, it is later in the morning than it used to be as we spin on our axis.

I love how the sun caught the bloom on the left!

The sun highlighted the wonderful art glass vase as well.  Made by artist Robert Held.












I caught this Black Capped Chickadee with very warm light one morning recently.

They are pretty skittish so I have had a hard time getting their photos this summer.

I try to have fermented food regularly in my diet.

I have been eating KimChi for years.  First discovered it at a Korean Restaurant in town.  It was the first spicy food I did not mind eating.

When I think of KimChi and I am reminded of a MASH episode. In the episode, Frank sees the locals were burying something in the field outside the fence.  Of course, he thinks it is a bomb and panics.  Upon the destruction of the underground device it was found to be a KimChi pot.

My sister has been making it for me for a few years.  She has a friend who grew the spicy peppers required to make it.  She started it when I has there and I brought the jar home to babysit until it was ready to put in the fridge.

The nappa cabbage, daikon radish, and green onion has to stay under the liquid at all times.  Everything in the preparation needs to be glass. I was lucky enough to have this glass lid which worked very well.  The liquid will bubble over the rim of the jar so there needs to be bowl under jar to gather that.  It sits on the counter for a few days and it bubbled faster as my house is warmer than my sisters.  Then it is stored in a plastic jar in the fridge. 

I have started working on some still life for greeting cards.  This was a dried bouquet I put together a couple weeks ago.  I had tied it with lace which I thought would work but it did not. I needed something warmer in color.  Raffia would be great. 

I have been cleaning up and getting rid of stuff that I don't use any more.  Mostly card making supplies.  The raffia went a couple weeks ago so No Raffia!   I did not stop to think of the other uses for it.  I came across that same thought with 12x12 scrapbook paper that I may use for photography backgrounds.  I am more aware and will vet the 12x12 paper headed out of the house  more carefully.  Card making supplies are seriously being culled.

I have taken props to the retaining wall of the walking path in the river valley a couple of times to have these wonderful old beams in the background.

They are fabulous but hauling props a several blocks without smashing and breaking them along the way has been the challenge.  For this shot,  I was depending on finding natural elements on my walk and it was not the best. 

I love the feel of the wood.  So, I will continue to work on the process to achieve the results I want.

Sharing with Mosaic Monday #41 hosted by Angie at Letting Go the Bay Leaf and Mersad at Through My Lens #204.

4 comments:

  1. Sylvia - love the idea of letting flowers naturally dry out for an arrangement. I will keep this in mind as we enter autumn and flowers are not as readily available. Well done to persevere with the photo of the chickadee. It's true they don't perch in one spot for long! Oh dear, the raffia - I can relate. No sooner do we discard something than we think of a use for it! Thanks for linking to Mosaic Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, love your capture of the raindrops and the cute chickadee. The vase with the drying yellow flowers is beautiful Your still life images are beautiful. I love a spicy meal, I have never tried KimChi. Wonderful post. Enjoy your day. PS, thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great shots, Sylvia. I especially like the vase with the dried flowers. Very artsy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like reading about your thought processes behind your photos. I learned a lot about picture taking from you today. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love to read your comments.