Tuesday, April 23, 2024

Art Show - AAC - Redux Show 2024 - Slow Stitch Scroll

The Form Redux Show at the Spruce Grove Gallery opens today.  I have submitted 2 pieces to this show.  I started my pieces after discussions with a couple of people at the December reception for the Christmas Store. At the time it was being referred to as the 3D show.  When the official call came out in mid March it had morphed a little and offered a wider range of options. 

It is meant to reuse materials from one state into a new one.  

The fabric used for the scroll is a white tie dyed cotton sheet which I dyed again with green acrylic ink. All the elements are created with bits of leftover scraps of fabric, felt, thrifted embroidery thread and lace, even the flower on the tie is recycled from old earrings. The beads come from my stash.  The spool was originally purchased with decorative ribbon and saved for 10 years until its time came to shine. 

Title: Summer

Size: 4.00 T x 58.00 W inches

Medium: Slow Stitch Fabric Scroll with embellishments

Support: Wooden Spool


It is a slow stitch fabric scroll titled "Summer".  I chose to stitch the new green leaves of May in early summer to the rain and tulips blooming moving along to the insects coming to life represented by the ladybug, the robin represents the birds and their song then we move to the ponds being full of life represented by the dragonfly in the cattails, then we move to the flowers which start to bloom in the beautiful days of middle summer, there are mushrooms and snails and butterflies, the chickadee has been here and will stay all year as summer winds down and finally we have the beautiful sunflowers of late September. 

The elements are all original designs I made up as I went along.  The stitching alone took all of January 2024 then I had to back the piece, prepared the wood spool with several coats of Tung Oil. I braided the string used for the tie and the hanger on the spool.  I chose a large shell button for the closure and a silver flower for the end of the tie.  There is a clear bead at the bottom of the spool which keeps the hanger in place. 

It is on display at the gallery and is for sale.  The reception is Saturday April 27th at 1-3pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. I love to read your comments.