Friday, April 19, 2024

Slow Stitching - Wool Brooches

I have acquired quite a few small pieces of wool or felted wool and decided to see if I could use my slow stitching to make brooches.

This blue one was my first one.  I chose to add a star in single thread where the 3 colors in the fabric met.  

Originally I had use white thread for the blanket stitch edging and that was not working.  I pulled it all out and started over.

It works much better to have dark blue edge stitching.

I like the uneven shape of this brooch.



 This brooch was stitched on a piece of felted wool which has various colors in it.  It was quite thick so I paired it with some grey fleece. I cut 2" circles from each fabric.  

I slow stitched my sunrise scene onto the felted wool circle. I then whipped stitched the 2 layers together.  I am not sure that whip stitching was the best choice as it has given the brooch an organic shape.

I hand stitched a pin back.




I chose some bright pink wool fabric for this brooch.  I had these iridescent flowers I had reclaimed from an old wedding item.

I stitched my stems on first then added my flowers with a frosted Ebead in the center.  I added some blue seed stitches to indicate sky.

I chose pink thread and used the blanket stitch to hold the 2 layers of pink together.  I chose to put running stitch along the bottom because I wanted to preserve the raw edge.

I then placed a piece of black felt on the back with whip stitch. 

I handstitched a pin back to the black then hid the stitching with a small piece of the same felt.


This is how all the brooch pins are attached  to make them as pretty as possible.

The small piece of fabric over the center the same as the back piece so it becomes quite invisible.


These may make it to the Christmas Store at the gallery in December.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. I love to read your comments.