Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Apron - Cross Back Daisy

Another apron today.  I tried a new design for those who do not want ties on their aprons.

I started with this warm rust floral fabric and chose a light yellow cotton for the lining.

I used my own pattern from earlier aprons and adjusted how the straps worked.

I cut two pieces of the pattern one patterned and the other solid.  I cut them at the same time so they would be a perfect match. 

I cut the patch pockets from the remnant created where the arm hole was cut. I added an accent strip to the slanted open edge of the pockets cut from the lining fabric.

The pockets were then top stitched onto the front patterned piece.

The front and the lining were sewn together, turned inside out, and top stitched to close the gap used to turn inside out. I also placed a line of stitching from the top of bib to the bottom of the apron just left of center to secure the 2 pieces together.

The straps were cut 2.5 inches wide and about 27 inches long just to make sure I had enough.  I sewed a seam with right sides together then struggled to turn the strap inside out. I like that the seam can be placed in the back center of the strap.

I securely attached the straps to the top corners of the bib.  I decided that 22 inches between the top of bib to the edge of the back worked so I cut the strap 24 with a 1 inch overlap at each connection point.  I ensured that the straps were "crossed" then securely attached the bottom end of the strap to the back edge of the apron.

I may have to do something different for turning the straps inside out.  I think I would also like to have the apron wider so there the back edges come closer together when it is one a person.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. I love to read your comments.