Saturday, September 22, 2018

Potholders - Flat

This is my standard 8.5 inch flat potholder with a 1 1/8 inch borders which have been stitched to the center 7.5 inch square. 

It has a center loop with top stitching very close to the edge to seal the gap where I turned it over.  I then added another close to the other edge.

To create my center stitching I used my 1 inch border chip board pattern piece and placed it along the edge had my sewing machine foot follow the other edge.

I chose some manly fish fabric for this set of flat 8.5 inch potholders. 

I paired it with an aqua 100% cotton for the back.  They had the 1 1/8 inch border.

Center hanging loop.

I changed up the center stitching and created a quarter circle from paper which I followed with my machine. I love that they intersect at the edges.  I'm glad it did not overlap the main fish too much.


I loved this bright church fabric with silver metallic lines and wanted to maximize it's use so I cut the center square smaller so I could get 3 sets of potholders.  With the wonderful colors in this fabric I will be able to pair it with several different colors.
This time I chose the royal blue but I had to widen the border to accommodate the smaller center. The borders 2 inches wide and I was able to get away with top stitching on the close edge and the far edge also did the center stitching. Excellent.

This fabric as really fabulous so I wanted to see a lot of it so I decided to make the whole in stars.  I paired it with the same royal blue from the previous pair. 

It needed a bit of a focal point on the front so I created a silver rick rack onto a royal blue strip which I stitched on before I assembled the potholder. 

The center stitching was just triangles below the accent strip. 

Less fuss on this set of potholders.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. I love to read your comments.