Monday, March 11, 2024

Sewing Project - Book Sleeve - Blue Mottled

 
I made another book sleeve but with a different process - where we make the outer layer and the lining layer and then insert one into the other. I chose light grey thread for this project.

I cut my blue outer fabric, the flannel padding then the grey lining fabric all the same size - 12 inches wide and 19 inches tall. 

I quilted the padding to the wrong side of the outer blue fabric with a pretty stitch.  This one though is too thread intensive and very slow. 

I prepare my handles which measured 12 inches long and 3 inches wide and I folded in the edges then ironed it in half and sewed both edges.

I then sewed the side seams on the outer blue fabric. I decided to add a tiny pocket on the inside for a pen so I prepared that piece then pinned it into the seam and sewed the side seams of the lining fabric. I made sure that it stood the right side up this time.

I then tacked my handles in place on the outer fabric along with the small elastic just to give me a last chance to make sure they are not twisted. 

I inserted one into the other with right sides together and pinned it very well. I sewed them together leaving a small opening to turn them inside out. I then turned them right side out, ironed them, and pushed the lining into the bag. I top stitched the edge very close to the edge all the way around closing the gap in the same process.

I chose a button which matched very well.  This process is working well. It fits my large paper back book which is my guide.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. I love to read your comments.