Friday, July 20, 2018

The Craft Kingdom - Project 2 - Decorating Rocks

This is my second project from the book - The Craft Kingdom.  Check out my second post.  Find a link to the book here.






I hope that you are inspired to do art today. Check out the book at your local book store.
 
I chose Decorating Pebbles on page 32 of the book.
 
First I picked my rocks.

I chose smooth rocks with flat surfaces where I could paint.

I wanted to make one a Thank You one and others to just paint something interesting.

Pick shapes that appeal to you and sizes that fit with the art you are planning to paint onto it.








I chose a turquoise color named Laguna, a green called Yellow Citron, my favorite Cadmium Yellow and Kelly Green.

I chose acrylic paint in a variety of colors and brands.  Make sure you have an opaque paint.  I have glazes and semi transparent colors.

I did not prime the rocks with white but it may have been a good idea.

I  did make a couple coats of color so that turned out okay.


I chose a plastic lid for a palette for the dollops of paint.  The middle rock is a mixture of the dollops once I was done with the others.

I chose a medium sized paint brush.

You have to plan because you will have unpainted spots where you are holding it.  Two times by 2 coats.  The acrylic paint dries very quickly.


Check out page 32 in the book titled decorated pebbles.

As you can see a pile of rocks was included in the book.  Lots of color and pattern was used.






Here are my rocks.  Spattering paint with a toothbrush is always a easy process for anyone to try.

I used a smaller brush to paint my flowers.  I love the shape and color in the turquoise one!

3 comments:

  1. These are lovely, Sylvia. I have plans to paint rocks with my grandchildren next week. They probably won't be as well executed as yours, but the little ones will have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lorrie, It`s all fun that is what matters. Enjoy your time with grand kids! Sylvia

      Delete
  2. Sylvia - these turned out so well. There's another blogger who paints rocks regularly and leaves them in public places to 'make someone's day'. A few weeks ago, I found a painted rock that had been left on a picnic table, and it did really make me smile. Something for me to do on a rainy day, when and if it comes!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love to read your comments.