Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Christmas Card Challenge - October - Paper Piecing

The challenge for October is paper piecing.  I considered punch art which would work, other options are Squares, Banners, Flags, Quilting DP, Trees, Pinwheel and I'm sure you will come up with an idea for your cards.
I chose a star for my paper piecing element.
Star: I chose this star which is an original Sizzix die. I selected complementary colored Designer Papers. I cut all 5 layers of Designer paper at the same time. I would suggest labeling the back of each point with a number 1-5 on all 5 stars to help with the putting back together process in a few minutes. I held all together with a couple of bull clips then I worked out where the centre of the star was, then I cut out to each V with an exacto knife.  I punched 5 large circle (1.75") to glue the stars back together on.  Now place your five circle out and take the 5 points from the first layer and placed them in their 1 to 5 order.  Place the next star on the five circles keeping your numbers in order.  Continue till all 5 stars are now on the 5 circles.  Glue the centers of the star onto the circle. 
Background:  I made a stamp pad with a paper towel moistened with a bit of water and household bleach.  I chose medium to dark blue card stock and cut it down to leave a small border.  I used the Stampin Up Itty Bitty Background stamp and stamped the cardstock with bleach.  This lightens the card stock.  I then stamped the same piece with a dark navy ink pad to provide some depth to my night sky. This was glued to an ivory card.
Greeting: I cut the greeting with the Sizzix sizzlet alphabet - Bounce from ivory card stock.  This was glued down with instant dry adhesive in a bottle with a pointed tip.
Button: I added a ivory button to the centre to which I tied some navy fiber.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. I love to read your comments.