Tuesday, May 21, 2024

Sewing Project - Book Sleeve

I decided to make a book sleeve today.

It about the same dimensions as the book bag but it has no handles or closure.

I chose these yellow cotton fabric because I have a bit of it and could afford to lose a bit if it was a bust.

I chose a deep brown very polyester fabric which was stiff and slidy.

Making this took a lot of brain power to translate the process I developed for the wine bags to this one.  

The differences were no box corners, a fold on the bottom instead of a seam, and a portrait orientation vs the landscape one on the book bag.

It does hold the largest novel book I own which I have been using as my guide.

The tab originally was to going to keep it closed but that did not work out so it became a decorative tab instead.  The closure would need to be elastic to accommodate the various thicknesses of books.

I added a button to match the yellow fabric on a brown tab.

There is an opening in the lining where I could turn it inside out.

I did zigzag all the seams as the brown lining fabric was thin and may give it put under too much stress,

It should be nice for this purpose.

I used my wavy decorative stitch again to to top stitch the top edge.

I used fleece for the batting in between the outer and lining fabrics.

I used straight lines of stitching to quilt the outer fabric to the batting.

I prefer to have handles but based on my research many of these sleeves are being made and sold so I thought I would give it a try.

I added my "My Bag" tag to the top edge.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. I love to read your comments.