Saturday, November 25, 2023

Sylvia's Simple Shots

I am always on the look out for small nativity sets that I can photograph for Christmas cards. 

I found this one at a thrift store a few weeks back.   They are snow people. 

My new ceramic tree has come in handy again. That was a good purchase.

The NOEL came from the ReUse Center.  The tiny lights also came from the thrift store.  They use AA batteries which I always have on hand.

I plan on applying a wash to these ceramic figures to give them more definition.  This was a very quick set up. I will have to take a few shots on the nativity while it is white because I will not be able to reverse the process.

Here's the box for the nativity.  I expect it is discount store purchase which did not cost a lot to buy new.

As you can see it has more characters which includes the 3 wisemen, a couple of animals so there is plenty of potential there.




The construction in my area just continues.  I am not sure who will occupy these tall apartment buildings when they are done.

The very tall building they built several years ago which limits the sun that hits my window is about half full.

This project started late summer so I heard through my open windows for all the fall.  At least we have very good windows and now that they are closed I don't hear it any more.




I finished this book this week. The Left-Handed Booksellers of London by Garth Nix.  When I looked it up online it is designated as a teen novel.  I really enjoyed the book.

The main character is Susan Arkshaw who is a twenty something looking for her father.  She has the summer to look before she started class at university in the fall in London.  She finds herself a job and a place to stay. Her Mom is keeping the details of his identity to herself so she turns to the man who has been a family friend for years.  He always sent gifts at Christmas and her birthday - Frank Thringley. When she is at his house things get really weird. He is dispatched by Merlin a young left-handed bookseller (one of the fighting ones).  With the right-handed bookseller they form an extended family of magical beings who police the mythic and legendary Old World when it intrudes on the modern world - in addition to running several bookshops.

Her life is turned upside down that summer as the magical beings help her make sense of who she is and the powers that are just being awakened in her which leads to the identify of her father.

I replaced the glass in my bathroom.  I bought the glass at the thrift shop for less than $2.  The one I had been using was a Mikasa which I purchased at least a year ago.  I was now finding that it's bowl was too large now it seemed for my hand. 

This is a great drinking vessel of very thin glass. Very nice quality.  I looked up the name Spielgelau - this is a water glass from the Definition series.  It is 16 ounces.  A set of 4 small ones retails for $80.00 so I guess I did alright.

I like to start my day with a large glass of water and this fits the bill.  The bowl is a better size for my hand.

Easy to clean as my hand fits into the top easily.

An excellent addition.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. I love to read your comments.