Saturday, October 14, 2023

Sylvia's Simple Shots

I took a walk around the lake with my sister before lunch.  This is a female Bufflehead. It is a duck.

It was a beautiful day.

I had started out early in the morning so I had skipped my morning exercises so it was good to have a bit of blood flowing before sitting for another couple of hours.






I travelled south with my sister and brother-in-law to spend Thanksgiving day with my nephew and his family. This is their first Canadian Thanksgiving as they have been living in China for the last few years.

The buns on this plate were made by my nephew and I have to say that when we walked in and smelled bread I was so reminded of walking into my Mom's house.  He had inherited her way with bread.  It is just delicious.

This is Turkey Dinner my sister prepared for me as a take home meal when we got back from down south.

It was nice to have a meal ready after all the driving.  I was lucky that my brother in law did half of it.

We did have a short visit with my niece/goddaugther. She was swamped on the weekend so she did not join us on Monday for turkey dinner.

Where the Wind Blows - Caroline Fyffe was a nice light read.  After a weekend of travelling it was nice to just dive into a good book for a while.  I just read it almost in about 3 sessions.  A good cup of tea or 2 or three. 

Set in Wyoming in the horse and buggy days.  Chase Logan has come to deliver news to Jessie Strong that her husband is dead.  Jessie has been living at the homestead alone for months as her husband was working further west.  Jessie was raised in an orphanage where she met a tiny little girl named Sarah.  She has arranged to adopt Sarah who arrives 1 day after Chase brought the tragic news. She knew they would not allow her to adopt if she was not married.  She asks Chase to pretend to be her husband to allow the adoption.  As it is they have brought along a 13 year old boy, Gabe,  they would like for her to take on as well.

Things go from pretending to maybe there is something between them, to a neighbor finding out that Chase has been living at the homestead and insists that a wedding take place. 

Chase decides to take his "family" back to his property in Logan Meadows. He has wired his friend to make the shack ready for when they will arrive. Then there is a 2 week journey in late fall with snow on the ground. Chase, Jessie, little Sarah, Gabe and his friend Jake who was looking for an adventure.  They arrive to find a pleasant surprise and land and accommodations.  Great book!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. I love to read your comments.