Friday, September 27, 2024

Inktense Fabric Painting - Sunrise

I decided to invest in Derwent Inktense ink colors for coloring fabric. My sister and nieces have had them for a while.

The come in different formats - pan, pencil and blocks.

I chose the pans since I do  some watercolor and they were the least investment should it not work out.  I also went to Delta Art and bought the Inktense 2400 Outliner which is a black drawing pencil not is non soluble so it will not run when you paint over it

My sister and niece have experienced the color seeping into other areas of their embroidery when painting with water.  Several videos I watched suggested using aloe vera gel instead of water to activate the ink. 

I drew my composition on a piece of cotton with the Outliner then painted. I had some pure aloe vera gel in my fridge so I decided to give it a try.  It works very well. 

I just a small brush for my edges and concentrated ink.  I used my regular watercolor ceramic palette and blended colors as I wanted with the gel. You do have to rinse your brush in water when changing colors.  The seeping you see on the roof of the house was a result of my not drying my brush after using water to rinse so it was too fluid and so it ran.  

I set the painting with my hot steam iron.  I ran it in water after the setting and the color did not run at all. 

Yes, this is a winner.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. I love to read your comments.