Saturday, September 28, 2024

Sewing Project - Adjustable Bookmark

I have been thinking of making some bookmarks for the Christmas sale since we share the space with the library.

With a bit of research, I found a few features I would like to incorporate. Adjustable and a pocket for a writing instrument.

After some measuring, I decided to make the it wrap around the book with an elastic and a couple of buttons for adjustment.  A pocket could be placed on the front and maybe some stitching could be included.

I cut 2 pieces of fabric measuring 3"W x 21" T - one patterned one solid.  I decided to use elastic from old face masks. I cut a piece of mustard fabric for the pocket. The buttons and embroidery need to be added before sewing.  The pocket needs to be sewn on the front of the bookmark. 

The elastic was pinned in place at the opposite end from the pocket. Then, I sewed all the way around the long strip leaving a slit to turn it inside out. I trimmed the corners, turned it inside out, pushed out the corners with a chopstick and pressed it flat.  I then top stitched all the way around. It was very difficult to do the buttons and embroidery after the pocket was sewn on.

Notes: 

  • The pencil pocket is too tall and could be narrower. 
  • Stitching and button(s) need to be done before assembly.
  • This is a hard cover book so the overall length of the bookmark could be shorter to accommodate smaller books.
  • I will use this one and implement improvements to future versions
  • The mask elastic may too soft.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. I love to read your comments.