Saturday, September 7, 2024

Sylvia's Simple Shots

My one and only trip to the Legislative Grounds this summer.  

The pools seem to be back up and in operation but there is still quite a bit of construction taking place.

The birds and the flowers carry on no matter the situation.

Love this purple flower not sure what it is.

The crows were creating fine silhouettes.

The high bush cranberries are not yet ready to pick.


The Sea Captain's Wife by Beth Powning is the book I finished this week.

Azuba Galloway grows up on the Bay of Fundy and dreams to leave it shores to travel the world. When she meets and marries Nathaniel Bradstock, a veteran sea captain she is sure her dreams will come true.  But their first child is born, her sea life is put on hold. In the small town, Azuba forms a friendship with the local minister and the company is welcomed.  But the locals suspect shenanigans. As a result, Azuba and the child join the captain on his next journey.

The journey is beset with challenges - confined spaces, taking orders from the Captain, ferocious storms, a female living in a male world and food shortages. 

The marriage survives but just barely! 

This is a cottage jacket I purchased while I was still working.

The cuffs were getting ratty and worn.  

It was time todo something about it before they were beyond repair.

I used some of my newly acquired stitching skills to firm up the edge and add some pretties as well.

Maybe I should have used something other than embroidery cotton but it will help for a while.

The ReUse Center always provides surprises.

I found a wonderful pair of pinking shears made in Japan.

They cut very well.

They need a bit of oiling and I am sure will serve me well for years to come.









I bought a chalk pencil from Michaels and some stencils to help me create uniform patterns for sashiko stitching.

I am still trying to figure out how to add embellishments to my linen coasters.

After check out the internet chalk pencil was one of the choices to transfer patterns but easily removed.  I don't want to wet my coasters.


 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. I love to read your comments.