Saturday, June 15, 2024

Sewing Project - Repair my Bedspread

My Mom made me a bedspread 16 or more years ago.  She asked me what I wanted and I wanted bright and fun fabric.  She often used second hand fabric and I recognize fabric from Dad's shirts and other garments she made along the way.  I really loved the quilt. Nice and thin but heavy.

It has started to wear and I needed to address the damage before it was too late to save the bedspread.  She is no longer here and I have improved my sewing skills so it is all good. 

The damage is on the top and bottom edges. I do rotate the quilt regularly which explains why both edges are affected.  It is where I handled it a the top when I am in bed.

The front pieces were damaged as well as the backing and in some place even the binding was showing wear.

There were a couple of places where the fabric was ripped or very thin.





I zigzagged the large holes to stablize the fabric.  This will be covered by the fabric I am going to add.

For the hole I place a tiny piece of blue fabric under the hold and used he blanket stitch to finished off the edges all the way around.

There was one polygram piece that was just too thin to really repair so I chose to applique a full piece over it.

It took a bit to find a piece that was bold enough in pattern to match the rest.  The zigzag piece is the replacement and I cut it to be exactly the same size as the other.

I hand stitched small stitches along all the edges with sewing polyester thread.

I was hoping for poly cotton fabric when I went shopping but only found polyester fabric. It was the right color and there was enough and the price of $2 was right so it came home with me.

After washing the fabric, I set out to design a way to cover the damage without it looking to much like that is what I did.

I cut the band 8 inches tall. The fabric was 70" inches wide so I cut 3 strips to have enough to cover the width of the bedspread 2 times (top and bottom).

Once I had sewn the 3 pieces together I cut it in half.  I aligned it 2.5 inches away from the edge on the back side and stitched it down.  I also made a seam in the binding of the quilt along which I was gong to fold. I iron the remaining fabric to the front of the bedspread.  Then I fold up the edge to have the band measure 3.5 inches. I pinned it very carefully and then top stitched it down.  I folded the fabric in on the edges and top stitch those at the same time.

For a while before I started this project I thought I would add additional stitching to the band but I don't think it needs it.

More stitching would make it stiffer and that is where I handle it all the time so I don't think that would feel nice.

It took the better part of the day but the quilt will now last another 10 years.  

Super happy with the end product.

I washed it and put it back on the bed.  Wonderful!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. I love to read your comments.